Friday, March 2, 2007

non fiction? wtf is that?

Standing in line for the security check--in, I am shocked awake by a parent that finally knows how to discipline their child. She is wailing, literally, as if someone were about to take away her life, chucked like some empty shell of a peanut onto the floor of so many other happy lives.
"I don't care," he says, forcefully but not angrily, "I want you to stop." And as if the child understands this desire it nearly immediately abandons all purpose, resumes a plain but now somewhat flushed pudgy faced girl.
I wanted to reach out to him, I wanted to thank him... to somehow yell and scream and shout until he agreed to become a prophet to the masses. "Please sir, please teach others. Please guide them on the shaky road of parenting.

Sitting in an airport terminal. I can't believe I need a boarding pass for this. The "people-watching" as I call it is worth thousands of dollars alone. I want a camera in my brain to capture images of the faces of longing. The faces of determined people, determined to get there, determined to be there, determined to be confused as hell.

The last words a coworker said to me were "Think of Christ and what He (carefully capitalizing his chat text) did for you on the cross." He then went into something about how I might die or the plane might crash... bastard. My wife reads it starts crying. Thanks a lot dude.

There's a child wandering in the concourse now, a mother knowingly picks it up and says "Whose child is this?" Fricken christmas songs. The father comes forward, thankfully the child is cute, everyone smiles instead of cringing.œ

No comments: